UK Free TV site improvements
I have made a few changes and fix a few bugs here on UK Free TV:
In the main menu:
- Added some chevrons to help better distinguish menu sections from menu items;
- Created a new section called Archive (2002-) and moved some very lightly used site features to here to reduce clutter;
- Fixed a bug that was causing a slight but perceptible delay in building the menus;
On the site generally:
- Used a new feature called “lazy loading” that better instructs your web browser when to fetch photos and other large graphics from the web server
- Remove the little-used “popular pages” features – it was using a lot of database resources and is being duplicated by Google Analytics;
- Removed the defunct “current” set-top box software links;
- Reduced the number of places that the adverts (the ones that pay for the site’s hosting and database servers) to get the web pages to load more quickly.
- Fixed several (hidden) usability bugs.
On section menu pages:
- Fix a bug that wasn’t linking the image link to a story page, only the text
- Site no longer creates an in-page link if you do not provide a web-site or twitter handle when posting a comment;
On the mapping pages:
The “at700” system:
- Pages are now updated to show the quarter (rather than half-year) that the changes are going to happen, including recent changes to the schedules;
If you have any other problems with the site that I have not – yet – noticed please let me know below in the comments.
Thanks to everyone.
Thanks for the responses folks.
I have investigated further and found the same problem on someone else's PC using Internet Explorer.
I then tried using 'Edge' on that Windows 10 PC and it worked.
It's odd that the terrain plot works in Internet Explorer on both PCs but not the map view.
|link to this comment|