menuMENU    UK Free TV logo TV



Click to see updates

Free Sky box for pensioners

The Digital Switchover Help Scheme will be handing BBC money to Sky for 75+ year olds, disabilities and blind households.

The Digital Switchover Help Scheme will be handing BBC money to
published on UK Free TV

According to Sky wins TV licence cash to aid digital Switchover - Media -, BSkyB will be given first call on the money (funded from 3% of the Licence Fee over five years) to provide free equipment and installation for those qualifying for the Digital Switchover Help Scheme.

The scheme provides a free digital television upgrade for each household in a switching over region that where:

  • someone is aged 75 or over;
  • there are people with severe disabilities (defined as those people eligible for either Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance or equivalent benefits);
  • one person is registered as blind or partially sighted.

The government has passed a law to allow the data held about these household to be passed to Sky.

Full details of the scheme is at: Digital Television - Publications - Digital Switchover Help Scheme

Help with Which system?
Can I use an existing sky dish with a freeview box? and if so can the two servic1
what is the difference between normal Co-axial cable and satellite grade? Can I2
i will never be able to get Sky reception (my house is surrounded by trees) an3
Do I need to get an aerial or can I connect my old sky dish straight to an aeri4
Why are many channels (such as TCM) on fSfS or Freesat but not on Freeview?5
In this section
BBC sets out plan to inform, educate and entertain during unprecedented times1
Why are there so many +1 channels on TV?2
Channel 4 would like to turn Sky "retransmission fees" into programming3
The BBC wants to stop paying Sky ten million pounds a year for EPG listing4
BBC "Delivering Quality First" changes to transmissions5
Broadcasting territorial exclusivity with a decoder card is contrary to EU law 6

Wednesday, 19 September 2012
2:07 PM

i am over 75 and had freeview and satelite dish i paid for but had a fire in my home and moved to new address . how can i reinstate my situation and get sattelite dish moved to new addres and cost./

link to this comment
j.luckstone's 1 post GB
Thursday, 1 November 2012
4:55 PM

I would like to enquire on my mother's behalf. she is 80 years of age, on state pension. Would she be elidgable for free freesat?

link to this comment
sheila's 1 post GB
Mike Dimmick

6:39 PM

sheila: The switchover help scheme has nearly ended. If she is in Northern Ireland you can still ask for help switching one TV to digital - see Region Northern Ireland | Switchover Help Scheme . This may be Freesat if Freeview is not possible, or they should offer Freesat as an option for a small fee.

link to this comment
Mike Dimmick's 2,486 posts GB
Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Lorna knipe
6:28 PM

Is it too late to apply for help with payment for digi box 16 Nov 2012"I'm asking this question on be half of a relation.

link to this comment
Lorna knipe's 1 post GB
Dave Lindsay

6:43 PM

Lorna knipe: See the Scheme's website The Switchover Help Scheme can help you make the switch to digital TV. | Switchover Help Scheme

Click on the map for your relation's region. Tyne Tees was the final UK mainland region to switch and this happened in September and it says that from 26 October 2012 the Scheme was closed in that region. Therefore I assume that in other mainland regions it will be unavailable.

The final region to switch was Northern Ireland (last month) and eligible people can apply there until 24 November 2012.

link to this comment
Dave Lindsay's 5,724 posts GB
Monday, 4 November 2013
david senior
2:12 PM

i have had freview instaled for a number of years one of my the flat near has diconected my satelite dish and has conected cables from my dish to thier flat claiming the dish is thiers are records kept of when my freevieww was instaled

link to this comment
david senior's 1 post GB

8:13 PM

david senior: As you have referred to "my dish" its assumed that you are using Freesat, if you are then the issue of whether or not records are kept of the date of an installation is entirely dependant on the company that installed your dish / Freesat receiver.

If though this was done via the changeover help scheme then they will be able to supply the info required, although considering the time factor involved this could prove to be a bit of a problem, however the undermentioned link is to their site.

Contact information | Switchover Help Scheme

link to this comment
jb38's 7,179 posts GB
Sunday, 1 December 2013
Henryka Kobusinska
11:30 AM

Friends tell me that at 82 years of age I may be able to get free Sky TV. Is this correct, and if so how do I go about obtaining it?

Thank you.

link to this comment
Henryka Kobusinska's 1 post GB
Monday, 13 July 2015
Jean Newton
8:38 PM

My mother had new aerial fitted and purchased a booster for her to receive digital TV before she realised she could get financial help. Her TV is now not working and there is no problem with the TV because we have checked it in our own house. Can she get a free digitoxin to help the situation.

link to this comment
Jean Newton's 1 post GB

10:35 PM

Jean Newton: Although your mother might have had government help to get digital TV, there seems to be no way of getting any repairs paid for. Ok, you know the TV is fine, but what about the cable to the wall, etc?

We need a postcode so we know where your mother is in relation to the transmitter, and therefore what she should get. A quick description of the problem, and how the aerial system is connected up as well.

In the meantime, check the aerial lead - a classic problem is its loose, broken or fallen out.

link to this comment
MikeB's 2,579 posts GB
Select more comments
Page 2

Your comment please
Please post a question, answer or commentUK Free TV is here to help people. If you are rude or disrespectful all of your posts will be deleted and you will be banned.

Privacy policy: UK Free Privacy policy.