Freeview intermittent interference
There are several different types of interference that cause problems. This page deals with the situation where:
- Freeview reception is perfect or near-perfect most of the time
- The audio on TV and radio channels mutes momentarily a few times each minute
- The picture on a Freeview channel freezes a few times each minute
There are two main causes of this type of intermittent interference:
- 'Induction' interference
- Mobile phone interference
Induction interferenceInduction interference is caused by mains-powered household devices that contain a large motor, such as:
- Washing machine;
- Tumble dryer;
- Central heating pump or combination boiler;
- Power tools (drills, jigsaws etc)
- Vacuum cleaners;
- Water pumps;
- Automatic doors
You can identify if one or more of these devices is causing the Freeview reception problem by powering off the devices.
If one of these devices is causing the problem, then the reception problem can usually be solved by using a mains filter device and use it on the Freeview boxes mains connection.
Such as device is this: Maplin: 6-Way Flat Screen and HDTV Surge Protector and Mains Filter.
Mobile phone interferenceIf you keep a mobile phone by your Freeview box or digital television, keep it further away!
This also applies to other transmitters such as baby monitors, video senders, walkie talkies, and portable phones.